Ask Nancy

Do You Have a Question?

I'll be answering ten questions each month... and if your question is chosen, I'll post a personalized response!

Submit Your Question

How do I stop a 9 in. x 13 in. sheet cake from rising in the middle?

betty - from Fitchburg, MA

The rise that you are referring to is generally called a "crown." To reduce the height of the crown on any size cake, use Bake Even Strips. These strips are soaked in water and then wrapped around the sides of the cake pan. The moisture in the strips keeps the sides of the pan cooler, slowing down the cooking of the sides of the cake and making the sides and middle raise more evenly. They work very well on any size cake.  

Return to General Baking questions

The Public Television cake decorating show providing easy projects for special celebrations. Not intended to replace instructional classes.