Ask Nancy

Do You Have a Question?

I'll be answering ten questions each month... and if your question is chosen, I'll post a personalized response!

Submit Your Question

Which type of icing should I use to decorate my cake?

tiffany - from washington, IA

The type and consistency of icing is dependant on your decoration. For instance, you would want to use a stiff consistency icing for decorations like roses, carnations or sweet peas; most 3D flowers. Medium consistency icing is used for decorations like stars, boarders and flat flowers. Thin consistency icing is used for printing or writing. 

Return to Buttercream Icing questions

The Public Television cake decorating show providing easy projects for special celebrations. Not intended to replace instructional classes.