Ask Nancy

Do You Have a Question?

I'll be answering ten questions each month... and if your question is chosen, I'll post a personalized response!

Submit Your Question

I'm a new baker. In looking at your website, I notice in a number of recipes you call for the butter to be softened and "creamed." What exactly does it mean to "cream" the butter?

Nancy Marie - from Houston, TX

Creaming butter means to beat it with an electric mixer. For most cakes and cookies, you usually also beat the sugar with the softened butter. You should continue beating 2-3 minutes, or until the butter turns a lighter color and becomes fluffy.

Return to General Baking questions

The Public Television cake decorating show providing easy projects for special celebrations. Not intended to replace instructional classes.