Ask Nancy

Do You Have a Question?

I'll be answering ten questions each month... and if your question is chosen, I'll post a personalized response!

Submit Your Question

Can I use royal icing instead of Candy Melts for the cake pops or do I use thinned buttercream?

Neikhila - from Katy, TX

Thinned buttercream will work for cake pops, but it doesn't harden as much as the Candy Melts, so you'll have to be more careful when decorating and transporting them. Royal icing would be the opposite end of the spectrum. It would dry too hard, and have an unpleasant texture.

Return to Buttercream Icing questions

The Public Television cake decorating show providing easy projects for special celebrations. Not intended to replace instructional classes.