Ask Nancy

Do You Have a Question?

I'll be answering ten questions each month... and if your question is chosen, I'll post a personalized response!

Submit Your Question

What does “flooding” using icing mean and how do you do it?

Dorothy - from Gladstone, Manitoba, Canada

“Flooding” is a technique for filling in decorations, used most frequently on cookies. It can be done with either royal icing or Color Flow icing. First a medium to stiff consistency icing is used to outline the decoration. This is allowed to crust over. Then, a thin icing is piped into the outline; because it is thinned, the icing then flows or “floods” to fill in the space between the outline. If thinned to the correct consistency, the icing will dry completely flat on the top.

Return to Decorating Techniques questions

The Public Television cake decorating show providing easy projects for special celebrations. Not intended to replace instructional classes.