Ask Nancy

Do You Have a Question?

I'll be answering ten questions each month... and if your question is chosen, I'll post a personalized response!

Submit Your Question

Bakeries often carry butter cookies that appear to have been piped from a bag using a large star tip. I find that my cookie dough is too stiff for piping. What do you suggest?

Janet - from Turnersville, NJ

Those butter cookies that you're talking about are often called "spritz cookies," and we have several spritz recipes on the Bake Decorate Celebrate website. Make sure your dough is at room temperature when you pipe it.. This is a softer dough, but it is still fairly stiff. Instead of piping the dough out of a bag, which is hard work on your hands, consider using a cookie press, which works great with these spritz recipes, and also comes with lots of shape plates. You can make the classic spritz that look like large stars, and so much more.

Return to Cookies questions

The Public Television cake decorating show providing easy projects for special celebrations. Not intended to replace instructional classes.